Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bound for Jonestown TX

Downtown Shreveport LA.
After an hour and a half of torn up and busy city roads I finally get to some light traffic country roads.
Almost to the border. The wind was so brutal I could only go between 10 and 12 miles an hour for 30 miles.
The border to Texas. I tried to get to Jonestown which was only 4 more miles in, but the road got gradually worse until it was nothing but dirt. I didn't want to take my chances getting stranded so I headed back.

The ride back took me less than half the time with the strong winds. I think I averaged over 25 most of the way. Here's a pic of the boardwalk which is suppose to be the ritzy shopping place in the area. You can see the wind rippling the water too. 3 more miles of busy streets and annoying stoplights and I'm home. The ride came out to be 60 miles, 20 miles of which were poorly maintained and busy roads with some pretty aggressive drivers. Its not something I want to try again anytime soon, but it was still worth the trip. Watch out Jonestown next time I'll have a mountain bike.